Birmingham Home Leasing will not list a rental property in poor condition and Birmingham Home Leasing will not lease a property to a Tenant with poor credit. In our experience it is impossible to place a Tenant with excellent credit and income in a property that is in poor condition or listed above market value. If your property does not meet the conditions set forth below we will not list your property.
- All rental properties must be located within our service area. Please see the service area map on the home page.
- All rental properties must have at least 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms.
- Rental properties to be listed must be estimated by us rent for at least $1,500 per month. (2/25/2023)
- The Broker will not list a property with Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS).
- Due to recent actions taken by the EPA that became effective in March 2022, the Broker will not manage properties built before 1978 or any property that is known or suspected to contain lead-based paint. To review an article on this subject provided by the National Association of Realtors (NAR), click here.
- Properties that added a finished room(s) after original construction that do not have a dedicated thermostat may not be listed by the Broker.
Listing Standards For Managed Properties
Listing standards for managed properties are higher than for Lease Only properties. We are committed to providing safe, clean, and properly maintained homes to our residents. The following list is not meant to cover each make-ready required item, but it does list some of the most important and often overlooked.
- Property professionally cleaned and free of trash and debris, inside and outside. There should be no crumbs, stains or food waste in the kitchen. There should be no human hair or human waste stains in the bathrooms.
- HVAC system to be in good operating condition, with a new filter(s) installed.
- All mechanical components working as designed. Includes HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems, kitchen appliances, sump pumps, water softeners, sprinkler systems, gas fireplaces, water filtration systems, etc.
- Caulk and grout in the kitchen and bathrooms should be sprayed with a non-bleach commercially available (CLR, OxyClean, Zep, etc.) cleaning solution and wiped clean. It may not always be possible to completely remove the appearance of mold and mildew, but it should be sprayed and wiped clean.
- All doors and locks functioning properly and doorstops installed on all doors.
- All windows must open, close, and lock properly.
- Carpet professionally cleaned and looking fresh, free from stains, wrinkles, rips, etc.
- All painted surfaces fresh with no mis-match touch-up areas and repainting must be done corner to corner. No walls can have holes ¼ inch in diameter or greater.
- All TV mounts must be removed, wall repaired and repainted.
- All windows must have blinds.
- No draperies or curtains on windows.
- No personal property or items in the property. This includes furniture, knickknacks, toiletries, shower curtains, Kleenex boxes, kitchen or bathroom items, soap dispenser, pictures, etc.
- No lawn equipment including mowers, tools, etc.
- Garage floor swept.
- No exterior debris.
- Lawn cut and trimmed.
- Landscaping fresh and clean.
- All light bulbs are working.
- All safety railings are secure.